Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A moment of stillness






One of the profound differences in my observations between my first visit two years ago and this January was the increase in the bird life of the region.  Last time we had seen virtually only birds of prey and heard no bird song.  This time we saw lots of marabou and had several sightings of the beautiful Abyssinian roller and haven't yet identified a couple of others. (We are hopeful that Felix's well informed naturalist teacher, Mr. Atwood, is going to label them for us.) It seems as though life is being restored to this land after so many decades of death and destruction.  The brilliant blue flash of the roller, like the sight of crops growing in the dry season, brought huge hope.

Bert and William had a few moments together under one of the mango trees and as I photographed them I noticed a bird in the tree left of Bert and as I turned back to the family compound I snapped a series of pictures of the Abyssinian roller who seemed a local now.

No comments:

Post a Comment