Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Googic's copy of Agor




One of the very exciting parts of our trip was seeing the gardens that the Gugic community had started copying much of what Agor had done but without any of the technical assistance and support.  It isn't quite as big, the fence isn't quite as sturdy, the ground doesn't look as well tilled, and the beds are less well defined, but the Gugic people, too, were harvesting greens months ahead of others.  It was so encouraging to witness this spontaneous initiative.  They didn't have the advantage of oxplows and don't have any water pump to make the watering easier, but they have more food than others because of their efforts.

I asked William's younger brother, Kawaja, whether they were considering expanding the garden and selling some of the produce at the local market.  He looked at me as though I was crazy.   Did I realize how much work that had been?  Did I consider how long it took to fell all the trees to make the fence alone?  That was a little discouraging.  I asked why their community didn't speak to the Bridge program in Aweil and ask for some assistance.  Kawaja was the first of several locals to tell me that the Bridge program was being wound up.  (This was a possibility, but in fact the program has been extended.)  I will keep praying that various parties will connect so that initiatives of this kind are encouraged and supported.  

No comments:

Post a Comment