Tuesday, November 30, 2010

6 big bonuses in one day - I needed to head up the road to the post office to send off a few packages and the young rickshaw driver zeroed the meter for the trip before I had even asked.  (Bonus #1! No need to bargain)  I tapped the meter at the end of the trip and said 'Thank you for using the meter' and handed him a very fat tip.  One very happy tuktuk driver!

I walked straight up to the post office counter and the packages were mailed in less than ten minutes!  (Bonus #2)  Last time we went to send packages it took closer to 40 minutes. Although it sounded a great amount to pay in rupees, it really wasn't when I thought of what it costs to send things from England or USA.  In fact when I really considered what I had paid I started to wonder how it could possibly be that cheap.  I paid less to send the packages registered airmail than I would  have had to to send them regular air mail the opposite way.  (Bonus #3).

The Post Office is on the opposite side of the street from Lodhi Gardens so I decided to walk through the gardens to get to Khan Market.   It was a beautiful day and the garden peaceful and lush.  For several minutes in the center of the garden I could only hear birds and gentle gardening sounds. (Bonus #4)

I got my shopping at Khan Market done swiftly and went to the rickshaw stand for a ride home.  Extraordinarily there were none waiting.   I put my bags down and a tuktuk pulled up to discharge a passenger.  As I told the driver where I wanted to go, he nodded and put the meter back to zero - again without my asking!  Again, at the end of the trip I thanked the driver for using the meter and gave him a lovely tip.  He too grinned ear to ear.  Felix suspects that word will get around and I won't have to bargain at all any more because they will all realize they get more if they don't hassle me. :) (Bonus  #5)

Hendrik sent an email from Annandale asking whether I had ordered $500 boots, size 5 1/2,  from Neiman Marcus on line.  Head scratch and think!  No I have never bought boots for $500, I don't know anyone size 5 1/2 who would like those hideous boots, I have never bought anything from NM on line and the last time I was in the shop was more than a year ago.  The boots had been shipped to Annandale with clear indication that my credit card had been used.  There were two other small charges on my credit card account to something called Intelius.com that did not originate with me.  The card was  canceled immediately.  The ugly boots go back to NM and the credit card company does some investigating and we get new cards.  So glad this didn't develop further - surely the petite footed purchaser made an error in shipping the goods to my home address.  (Bonus #6).

A day for the record books.

No comments:

Post a Comment